Call us now0439 823 190
Home Solar EV Charging Installation – Everything You Need To Know!
Posted on September 16, 2022
Home solar EV charging installation has many factors involved to ensure the car can be charged using solar power. There are many benefits to choosing solar power to power the car charger, including reduced energy bill costs. It is important to also install the right systems to make sure the charger and solar panels will effectively meet your energy needs. Here at The Local Electrician, we offer professional car charging repair and installation services (for all EV’s including Tesla) and will help provide advice on solar power options.
With home solar EV charging installations licensed tradespeople will need to install the solar panels, wiring, car charger and all other parts. The main benefits of using solar power to power the car charger are reduced environmental impact and energy costs.
What are the Factors Involved with Home Solar EV Charging?
An EV charging station can be installed in the home and that can be powered by solar panels. This means that instead of relying on the electric grid to power the charger that charges the car, a home can install solar panels to power the home, including the car charger. Below is a guide on all the main considerations with home solar EV charging installation, set up and usage:
What are the Benefits of Charging My EV Using Solar Panels?
Using solar panels to power the EV charging station comes with many positives. The overall impact on the environment will be lower because of not relying on the electric grid to power the charger. It will also be less expensive in the long term to charge the car and power the charger by using solar panels. When electric grid prices increase this will not impact the solar panel costs so it will overall be consistent with pricing as well. Choosing to power the EV charger by solar power can save more than 50% of the energy costs.
How Much Power is Needed for Home Solar EV Charging?
The amount of power needed to power the charging station to then power the car will be based on how frequent the car is driven and for how long. For example, driving:
- 20km a day – 1kW of panels to charge in the day
- 21-40km a day – 2kW of panels to charge in the day
- 41-60km a day – 3kW of panels to charge in the day
The charger will influence how quickly and effectively the car is charged but the solar panels will need to be powerful enough to supply an efficient amount of power to the charger. Micro inverters will also be used on each solar panel so each panel can have its own inverter. This makes it easier to add new solar panels in the future in case the car needs a higher demand of power or if the solar panels are going to be used in other parts of the home.
What Equipment is Needed for Solar Powered EV Chargers?
An electrician will perform the home solar EV charging installation involving connecting and installing all the systems to have the car charged at home, including:
- Charging station – there are many different types of electric vehicle chargers that can be installed in the home. It is important to choose the right model that will be able to charge the car to your needs but also is compatible with solar power. Make certain that the charger is able to be connected to the solar panels or if adjustments can be made to accommodate this. A Level 2 Electrician is the best person to rely on to install the car charger in the home. To know about the different types of electric car charging stations our blog is here to help!
- Wiring – all the cabling and wiring to connect the solar panels, charging station and other wiring needs to be done by an electrician.
- Battery storage – a battery will be installed most times with the solar powered car charger to ensure any power generated can be stored and not wasted. This is also important because people will charge their cars overnight so the power generated in the day can be stored and then used at that time. There are many solar panel batteries that can be chosen, such as brand or size, and will help with using solar power with car chargers.
- Solar panels – a licensed solar panel tradesperson will install the solar panels on the correct part of the home. These will be connected to the right electrical systems to ensure that the car charger can be powered properly. They will also have all the needed parts attached and then connected to the battery to ensure the power they generate can be stored.
Expert Electric Vehicle Charging Services
The Local Electrician offers fully qualified electricians who are trained in installing and repairing home car chargers. We can work with all types of car chargers, including home solar EV charging, and perform a variety of services. Our team arrives on time, operates professionally and makes sure that we provide the best EV charging services.
For the best home solar EV charging services – rely on The Local Electrician!
Lifetime Warranty on Workmanship and Labor
Our skilled electricians are qualified to carry out any electrical repair or installation within Sydney. We strive to deliver absolute customer satisfaction by offering electrical services that are affordable, safe and long lasting.
- Understanding Power Outages: When To Call a Level 2 Electrician - November 14, 2023
- Understanding Level 2 Electrical Needs: FAQs for Sydney Homeowners - October 7, 2023
- What You Need To Know About Private Power Pole Installation Costs in Sydney, NSW - September 14, 2023
Our Level 2 Local Electrical Services