Call us now0439 823 190
Can Any Electrician Install A Tesla Charger?
Posted on July 30, 2021
A qualified electrician will be able to perform an electric vehicle charger installation on a property. The licensed worker will perform the home charging station installation properly and following the correct guidelines. Because the electric car charger involves wires, cables and electrical systems it is best to have an electrician perform the ev charger installation. Here at The Local Electrician, we offer high quality electric vehicle charging station installation services for all Sydney locals.
An electrician who is fully licensed and knowledgeable in electric vehicle charging stations can perform an electric vehicle charger installation. Most times the car charging station will involve connecting the home charger to a secured outlet. The ev home charger will be constructed and all the wires correctly installed and fitted. Safety tests, such as ensuring electrical spikes do not occur, and general tests, such as if the cable reaches, happen.
What is the Process of an Electric Vehicle Charging Station Installation?
When performing the electric vehicle charger installation the electrician will follow the guidelines of the ev company, such as Tesla. This is important because each charger is different and will need to be installed with different methods.
Some of the many safety precautions involved in the electric vehicle charger installation are:
- Do not install the ev charger close to flammable objects and areas as well as near combustible chemicals, vapours and materials
- Ensure that the circuit breaker is switched off during the installation process
- The system cannot be installed in places that reach below -30 degrees celsius or above 50 degrees celsius
- Private power generators should not be connected or the main electrical source for the charging station
- The installation of the ev charger must follow all AS/NZ3000 wiring regulations
Planning the Location of the Charger
The charger will need to be installed in the correct location for the car to charge properly and safely, the considerations are:
- Location – the wall connector charger needs to be installed on flat services that are vertical. The surface will need to support the weight of the charger, such as if it is a wall pedestal, and most weigh around 7kg. Where the charger needs to be installed is important for the cable to properly reach without being strained. There also has to be enough room around the charger for the cable to properly wrap around.
- Height – the maximum height for an ev charger station is 1.52m for both indoor and outdoors. The minimum height for indoors is 0.6m and indoors is 0.45m but the recommended height is around 1.15m.
- Wi-Fi – it is important that the wall connector is close to the Wi-Fi for it to function optimally. To maximise the strength of the Wi-Fi signal to the wall charger make sure the signal goes through as few concrete walls and other physical obstructions.
Installing the Charger
The general factors of an electric vehicle charger station that an electrician will follow after the planning of where the system will be installed is:
- Placing all the wires correctly inside of the charger box and ensuring that the wiring and electrics function correctly
- Connecting the charging plug correctly to the charger box and testing if the charging point functions well
- Mounting the box in place securely and ensuring that all the wires are correctly connected, such as to the outlet or electrical switchboard
- A general safety test will be performed to ensure the plug and all other compartments of the ev charger function properly
EV Chargers in Apartments and Units
When living in a multi-dwelling location installing an electric vehicle charger will need special arrangements. A specific letter will need to be given to the owner/ landlord to ask if and how the charging station will be installed. If there is a designated spot for the unit then this may be the place where the charger can be installed.
Professional Electric Vehicle Charging Station Services
The Local Electrician offers the best electric vehicle charger installation services to all of Sydney. Our licensed electricians are able to install any type of EV charger station into any home or property. We make sure that the whole electric vehicle charging station is installed safely and that each part of the system functions properly. We arrive on time, operate swiftly and always complete the electric vehicle charger installation reliably.
For the best electric vehicle charger installation service in Sydney – rely on The Local Electrician!
Lifetime Warranty on Workmanship and Labor
Our skilled electricians are qualified to carry out any electrical repair or installation within Sydney. We strive to deliver absolute customer satisfaction by offering electrical services that are affordable, safe and long lasting.
- Understanding Power Outages: When To Call a Level 2 Electrician - November 14, 2023
- Understanding Level 2 Electrical Needs: FAQs for Sydney Homeowners - October 7, 2023
- What You Need To Know About Private Power Pole Installation Costs in Sydney, NSW - September 14, 2023
Our Level 2 Local Electrical Services